This drapery treatment appears to be perfect at 1st glance. It’s a great design, plan and execution and then you look again….oh what is that on it? So that something is… a loose piece of trim to dangle on the top of this beautiful window treatment. Please don’t over think…..this was perfect before.
Woven roman grass blinds are expensive and beautiful but hold it people….how about spending just a wee bit more and actually cover the entire window all the way. I never saw anything like this as to begin the blinds lower down from the top of the window! Did the factory make them too short or whose decision was it to agree this is better?
Wake up and smell the coffee. Very personal to ones taste. Fun and bright but don’t expect to sell your place with this in your kitchen.
What? OMG there is a beach scrap of wood growing in the bathroom. I bet the plumber would love to come into this bathroom and really love having to make a repair around the bald forest. How about all the dust mites that are also collecting on this through the years. I am sure standing there to brush your teeth is comfortable also. Get with it people….not a good idea!
I think that ceiling are very important in the world of design. First of all, every room comes with them, right? Many ceilings are the last thing anyone thinks about. I think with some of the photos that I will attach may make you think a little different about ceilings in a room. The room design can come to life by giving them a role. Lets just give you some ideas.
- Applied moldings – added in easy or intricate patterns plus painted to match the ceiling or highlighted maybe by gold leafing or like.
- Beams – they can be sleek to fit into a contemporary style or rustic to fit a chalet or western theme. The sleek ones probably would be painted a beautiful shiny finish and the rustic would probably be stained.
- Mirror work with maybe some bamboo fret work applied on top. Very elegant. The bamboo fret work would be fabulous in tortoise shell finish.
- Wood – long tongue and groove wood can be applied to ceiling. This of course can be stained or painted. Depends on the theme. Wood like pecky cypress looks beautiful and used frequently outside under a cover terrace/patio.
- Painted as accent – use a contrast color as you accent a wall but do it on a ceiling. Creates a very dramatic look.
- Handpainted ceiling – Trompe l’oil which is a scene or clouds or scroll painted by an artist to create a sky or say old master artwork.
- Fiberoptics – This would maybe be used in a very specifc way say maybe a home theater or a fun room for a child
- Brick – This could be say a recycled brick or old chicago brick to create a warmth say in a kitchen or wine cellar.
- Coffered – Large squares of beams with crown molding attached to ceiling. This can be a lot of fun. You can contrast paint the drywall part of the ceiling and stain or paint the coffers.
- 10. Wallpaper – Instead of applying wallpaper to the wall this can be put on the ceiling. Grasscloth looks fabulous on the ceiling giving the room some texture or a great brocade or over all pattern to the ceiling. Here there are just so many options to choose.
This is a great layering of lots of different items that can be mixed together. Almost anything old or new that is not contemporary.
If you have a piece of furniture from your Grandmother’s home or some pieces you picked up along the way from antique stores, thrift stores or street trash shopping….you might be able to fit into your decor.
As always, you begin with a plan from a designer. You always need a plan otherwise you are out there buying this and that and then it may not fit in size and then you have wasted your money.
The look has a lot of detail in the wood pieces, lots of carving which can be light to dark stain with some accent painted pieces. You can also use wicker, rattan, sea grass or banana leaf. I am sure you have seen furniture and fabrics with palms trees, tropical foliage, monkeys, parrots and island looking themes….this is perfect. You can also do another type of British Colonial with the same type carved woods but maybe with a blue and white theme. Any color way you prefer would work in this relaxed atmosphere as long as the main color you would like to use would have complimentary colors.
You should always have great window treatments, an area rug, of course your furniture and one of the most important is your accessories. This really does it for the tropical look.
This is a theme that can be used anywhere is the country….you don’t have to live in the southeast to enjoy this look.
Any questions, please call and reply and I will email you or call to see how I can help.