I think that ceiling are very important in the world of design. First of all, every room comes with them, right? Many ceilings are the last thing anyone thinks about. I think with some of the photos that I will attach may make you think a little different about ceilings in a room. The room design can come to life by giving them a role. Lets just give you some ideas.
- Applied moldings – added in easy or intricate patterns plus painted to match the ceiling or highlighted maybe by gold leafing or like.
- Beams – they can be sleek to fit into a contemporary style or rustic to fit a chalet or western theme. The sleek ones probably would be painted a beautiful shiny finish and the rustic would probably be stained.
- Mirror work with maybe some bamboo fret work applied on top. Very elegant. The bamboo fret work would be fabulous in tortoise shell finish.
- Wood – long tongue and groove wood can be applied to ceiling. This of course can be stained or painted. Depends on the theme. Wood like pecky cypress looks beautiful and used frequently outside under a cover terrace/patio.
- Painted as accent – use a contrast color as you accent a wall but do it on a ceiling. Creates a very dramatic look.
- Handpainted ceiling – Trompe l’oil which is a scene or clouds or scroll painted by an artist to create a sky or say old master artwork.
- Fiberoptics – This would maybe be used in a very specifc way say maybe a home theater or a fun room for a child
- Brick – This could be say a recycled brick or old chicago brick to create a warmth say in a kitchen or wine cellar.
- Coffered – Large squares of beams with crown molding attached to ceiling. This can be a lot of fun. You can contrast paint the drywall part of the ceiling and stain or paint the coffers.
- 10. Wallpaper – Instead of applying wallpaper to the wall this can be put on the ceiling. Grasscloth looks fabulous on the ceiling giving the room some texture or a great brocade or over all pattern to the ceiling. Here there are just so many options to choose.